Sunday 1 February 2009

Purpose

Well for sometime I’ve been meaning to have this blog page up and running in which for the last few months, I admit I have been somewhat lazy and avoidant of it for no apparent reason really. So as the title header indicates and suggests, this blog will serve a purpose of sorts, the main reason for this is to keep an online track of my own findings, progress and general opinions of what I’m getting up to, which will most likely entail subjects relating to Game design and everything that encompasses it.

In the next few weeks, ill be doing some major backtracking to show some work and talking about topics that generally hold some importance to myself or others.

So guess in this wee post, I should give an update of the current situation first before getting ahead of myself. In current standings, I have been lazy of my studies in art, which is a great shame though I fully intend to start getting back into the habit of doing something in the creative department daily, be it a wee drawing, learning new programs or simply reading something to see things in a different light.

As such I have been starting to learn illustrator slowly recently so I think it’s a good place to start on getting back into the groove. Self motivation and learning can only go so far I feel which is why in late march ill be attending a course at Escape studios based in London to learn all aspects of Maya. Now I could easily learn Maya at home by myself and save myself the change (a lot of change at that), but the real attraction to escape really is more I would be taught to the standard in which this forever evolving beast of a industry needs to stay happy, the right contacts and people are all in one convenient place who aid , assist and generally give the kind of advice people in my position need to know about their work etc and most importantly lend a hand on getting your foot in the door for interviews! Also the idea of possibly making new friends is something that excites me greatly.


Now in order to do actually do this course, im having to apply for a CDL (career development loan) to pay for it and just help me financially whilst studying there (which it last for 30 weeks, which I would have to travel up twice a week). Now I know this will lead to more debt than im already in, but it is a necessary one I feel if I intend to get into the industry. Currently waiting though for a specific code from escape studios while they renew the course with the learning and skills council, which is somewhat frustrating as I would prefer it to be sorted asap and just tell Barclays the code and let them have the final say, though it should be all ok anyway but, I am not a man of patience these days!


Well there is more to talk about..much more, but for now I think il give it a rest and do another post somepoint in the week, but for the moment, listening to Liverpool hopefully beat Chelsea will do me just fine.







Ben
www.benkinsellathomas.com ( site is up currently, just need to shift a gear or two and get my work up)

No comments: